St. Michael’s Church, Baddiley
St Michael's congregation welcomes people of all ages to join them whether as a new member of the congregation, to attend our family friendly events or simply to appreciate the church's role within the community since before 1308.
Likewise, everyone is welcome to visit the church to admire the historic importance of our church as a community gathering place of hope, love and peace where all people are equal in the eyes of God.
We hold a monthly family service, an annual evening Songs of Praise service every summer (usually followed by supper at the home of one of the parishioners), an annual candlelight carol service to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ and occasional community events to have fun and introduce ourselves to the wider community.
To join our congregation, please just turn up and introduce yourselves to the vicar or church wardens so that we can add you to our mailing list and introduce you to the rest of the family.Alternatively please contact Rev. Alison or a Church Warden to talk about weddings, funerals and baptisms or to arrange a visit for someone who is ill or in need using contact options found here.
Caring For The Community Since c.1308.The Parish Church of St. Michael's is a Grade 1 listed building of special architectural and historic interest.
The Church is mentioned in the recognisance rolls of 1308 although it is probable that a church existed here before then. It has been closely linked with the nearby Baddiley Hall and with the Mainwaring family.
There were formerly stained-glass windows in the Church given by the Mainwaring family, but when they sold Baddiley Hall and retired to Peover, they took these windows to the church there.
Special Points of Historical Interest
- The Church was originally timber framed until alterations and repairs took place in 1811 when the nave was replaced with brick, although the western gable was retained as timber and plaster.
- Some of the original wattle and daub can still be seen on the western gable of the chancel.
- Access to the Georgian west gallery is via a staircase of winders; the gallery gives a good view of the nave, which is separated from the chancel by a pre Reformation screen and tympanum dated 1663 which is unusual now in Cheshire.
The Royal Coat of Arms on the tympanum was restored beautifully at considerable expense during 2007, and was re-hung just before Christmas, and once again dominates the nave.
During late 2003 and early 2004 extensive repairs were carried out to the timber framework, south door and external brickwork in the chancel. The craftsmanship of these repairs can be best viewed from outside.
More detailed information can be found in the Church Guide which is available in the church.
To commemorate the 700th Anniversary of the establishment of the church at Baddiley in 2008, a new set of altar rail kneelers have been worked by members of the congregation and friends of St. Michael's. We are also indebted to Alan Joslyn for his craftmanship in designing and making the new kneeler bases. The kneelers were dedicated on Easter Sunday, March 23rd.